1. Signups will begin Saturday, January 29, 2012 and close Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at midnight US EST. This year, there will be art for the stories as well; we are still working out the exact details of artist story claiming, but in order for your story to have an artist assigned to it, you must turn in a completed rough draft by Thursday, May 3, 2012. (You will not be kicked out of the ficathon if you don't; you just won't receive art for your story.) Artist story claiming will be on Saturday, May 5, 2012 and all stories and art are due on Saturday, June 2, 2012. Anonymous posting begins on Monday, June 4, 2012.
2. Each writer will request a genre from the following when they sign up. (Please include a back-up genre as second choice, in case the mod(s) can't assign everyone to their preferred genre.) Finished stories are going to be posted in the following order:
Monday: Friendship Tuesday: Angst Wednesday: Team Thursday: Humor Friday: Action/adventure Saturday: AU Sunday: Supporting Character Appreciation Day
3. In addition to the genre, you may choose a prompt, have one assigned to you, or write freestyle. Prompts will not be unique (i.e., several people may write for the same prompt). After completing your first story, you can ask for (or choose) another prompt and write another story!
4. Please follow the formatting guidelines. [Forthcoming.]
5. All stories must be gen. For purposes of the ficathon, gen is defined as "established canon pairings only, and only if not the focus of the story".
6. Stories should be at least 1000 words long. There is no upper word limit; you can write an epic if you can finish it by the deadline!
7. Stories for the main event will be hosted on AO3. There will be a bonus round for folks who can't or won't post at AO3, as well as for anyone else who can't post to the main event. As each day's stories are opened, they will be announced here.
A note on genre: It's up to each writer how they interpret their genre — one person might do "humor" as a crackfic, another as a satire, another as a black comedy. Stories written for "Supporting Character Appreciation Day" should focus on at least one character who is not one of the current or former contract cast, i.e. not one of the people on the theme song. (One-season contract characters — e.g., Ford, Woolsey, and Sam — count as supporting characters for these purposes.)
If you have questions, please contact michelel72 or email sga.genficathon at gmail dot com. SGA Genficathon banners can be found at this page maintained by leesa_perrie.